Tuesday, April 7, 2020

The Gardens of Life


The Gardens of LIfe

From the Garden of Eden to the Garden of Gethsemane, the garden has played a crucial role in The Bible. 

Now Jesus often spoke in parables. And in his parables He would use seeds, trees, gardens, fields, and wheat to make his messages understandable to the people. HIs messages were about Faith, doing His Father's will, and Salvation.

In The Parable of the Sower, Matthew 13, Jesus reveals why he speaks in parables.

When the disciples asked Jesus why he speaks in parables he replied in Matthew 13:10 I speak in parables because to you have been revealed the secrets of heaven. But to the people the secrets have not been revealed.  And he tells them that he does this so they can understand.  

In the Parable of the Tares, Matthew 13:36, Jesus reveals that he is the sower.

And so it goes.  The Parable of the Sower, The Parable of the Wheat and the Tares, the Parable of the Mustard Seed.  Each a parable. Each using agriculture. 

In the Parable of the Sower and the Parable of the Wheat and the Tares, Jesus speaks of Salvation.  "When anyone hears the Word of the Kingdom and does not understand it, then the wicked one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart" and goes on to explain how different people receive the Word of the Kingdom.  

In the Wheat and the Tares, Jesus explains that it is He who sows the good seeds.  The field is the world and the good seeds are the sons of the Kingdom. The tares are the sons of the wicked.  And in the end, the wheat will be gathered into the barn and the tares will be bundled up and burned.

Today, Jesus may have used different metaphors. Perhaps a factory where the machines have bad parts.  A computer, infected with a virus. Nonetheless, after 2.000 years, the garden is as valid today as it was 2.000 years ago, to help us understand His message.

I mentioned in my previous message, that there is no worldly reason for me to find myself living a short walk to the Salvation Army Corps where I volunteer. I did not move here for work. I did not grow up in the area. However, as my Captain said, "Jesus puts us where he wants us."

Therefore, in addition to Jesus calling, in this case calling me to volunteer, the garden metaphor holds true. What I do, where I do it, is as if I am tending a garden. Sent out to work in the fields.  Or ringing a bell during Red Kettle season.

But it's not about this life. It's about the next one. 

And my main goal, as I go into the garden to work, is that I am one of the good seeds. Not one of the bad seeds. That at the Harvest, I am gathered up into the barn. And do not end up in the fire.

You have a blessed day and a blessed week.

May God bless us all.


Sincerely,

Slim


N.B.  I do not have a Church, nor am I head of a charitable or non-profit organisation, nor a minister, and I never solicit donations or contributions and have no mechanism for same.  If anyone calling himself Slim Fairview asks you to send a donation, it is not me. It is an imposter. Don't do it.


Please, for the sake of those in need, please give only to recognised Churches and recognised non-profit organisations. It is not about me. It is about others.

For that, please click the link: Salvation Army Week


Thank you.


Slim.


1 comment:

  1. A pastor once told me that we need to grow where we're planted. This echoes the parable you mentioned in your sermon...the metaphor may change over the years but the message is the same. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete